Encompassing the Watersheds of the Kinderhook and Claverack Creeks in the Lower Hudson Valley, New York
Full size image
Hudson Valley Links:
Logo design by John Reilly
This document was prepared for Hudson River Estuary Program, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, with support from the NYS Environmental Protection Fund, in cooperation with the New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission. The viewpoints expressed here do not necessarily represent those of NEIWPCC or NYSDEC, nor does mention of trade names, commercial products, or causes constitute endorsement or recommendation for use.
Please explore our website to learn more about the Stockport Creek Watershed and how you can help protect our water resources.
Download our watershed brochure here
The Greater Stockport Creek Watershed Alliance wishes to acknowledge the Hudson River Estuary Program, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, with support from NYS Environmental Protection Fund, in cooperation with the New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission; Home Waters Chapter of Trout Unlimited; Columbia-Greene Chapter of Trout Unlimited; Farmscape Ecology Program; Columbia County Sportsmen's Federation; Columbia-Greene Sportsman's Association, Inc.; Don Meltz Planning and GIS; and the U.S. Geological Survey for providing previous funding and/or in-kind services for the Alliance. In these difficult economic times, the opportunity to acquire funding for conservation projects becomes more and more rare. Thank you for your support.
2015 Stream Spotter Results and Information
Synopsis: WAVE specimens were collected by volunteer Stream Spotters and/or Fran Martino from 14 study sites during July through September 2015. All but one site is located within the Greater Stockport Creek Watershed. 54% of the watershed sites appeared to be compromised with IWL score results that ranked in the “poor” category. Two sites (15%) ranked as “fair”; the remaining 4 sites (31%) were ranked as “good.” The Izaak Walton League (IWL) rating uses the presence of various macroinvertebrate groups, combined with estimated tolerance values for these groups, to calculate an index of water quality. The IWL narrative score ranges are <11 Poor; 11-16 Fair; 17-22 Good, and 22 Excellent. There is no upper limit for the Excellent range.
Report a Spill or Watershed Impairment
About the Watershed
Stockport Creek Watershed drains 517 square miles of the mid-Hudson Valley in parts of Columbia and Rensselaer Counties in Eastern New York, and Berkshire County in Western Massachusetts. The watershed drains the western flank of the Taconic Mountains, along the New York-Massachusetts border, and the southern edge of the Rensselaer Plateau, in Rensselaer County, to the Hudson River at Stockport, NY. The watershed is primarily forested (71%) and agricultural (21%) land with most of the agriculture focused in the lowland areas adjacent to the principal rivers in the watershed, Kinderhook and Claverack Creeks.
Stockport Creek is formed by the confluence of the Kinderhook and Claverack in the town of Stockport, Columbia County; Kinderhook Creek drains the northern 63% of the Stockport Creek Watershed, and Claverack Creek drains the remaining 37% in the southern part of the watershed.
Stockport Creek Watershed is the second largest tributary watershed to the tidal Hudson River. Water in all or part of twenty-six municipalities are captured by the Stockport Creek Watershed. Fifty-six percent of Columbia County, 20% of Rensselaer County, and 2% of Berkshire County drain to tide water at the mouth of Stockport Creek.